Maternity Leave Substitute – Athletics Director / 8th Grade PE TeacherAugust 4, 2022
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students’ academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop the courage to become not just great students, but great people.
Overview of Program
Prospect Sierra offers interscholastic competition for 6th-8th grade students. The goal of our athletics program is to encourage participation and provide social, conceptual, and skill development for each student. Panther sports teams include basketball, cross-country, flag football, track and field, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee. Teams are designed to teach students individual and team skills and concepts, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of respect, good sportspersonship, and healthy competition.
Overview of Position
This position is for a Maternity Leave Substitute for Athletics Director of after school interscholastic sports teams and 8th Grade Physical Education Teacher. The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head. As Athletics Director and 8th Grade Physical Education Teacher the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Develop a classroom environment that fosters sportspersonship, collaboration, inclusivity, joy, and healthy competition.
- Carry out substitute lesson plans and create lesson plans as needed.
- Teach 8th Physical Education using the department’s scope and sequence to four pods of 8th grade students.
- Be a member of the 8th grade team.
- Teach an elective once a week.
- Supervise the multi purpose room/gym during lunch once a week.
- Collaborate with Physical Education department members and other faculty members.
- Complete report card for 8th graders including both grades and narrative comments.
- Support the division and team with carrying out recess duties and other small tasks.
Director of Athletics Responsibilities
- Model sportspersonship and uphold an “Honoring the Game” culture with all constituents.
- Work to be a visible ambassador of Prospect Sierra athletics.
- Plan and deliver coaches’ meetings as needed.
- Hire and release coaching staff along with the division head.
- Attend and represent Prospect Sierra at league scheduling meetings.
- Schedule games, matches, and meets.
- Order all equipment and uniforms and manage inventory for after school teams.
- Uphold league expectations for each sports season.
- Report scores and overall experience provided by each of the schools that Prospect Sierra plays.
- Athletics Director takes care of ancillary coaching duties (Physical Education teachers will take of these duties on their own if they are coaching).
- Assist/support team parents in organizing the end-of-season celebration.
- Coordinate referees/officials for each season.
- Host sporting events at school as needed.
- Coordinate with Extended Program to support athletes who need care after practice and games begin and finish.
- Work with the City of El Cerrito to secure fields for FF and ultimate seasons.
Ancillary Coaching Duties
- Communicate with the team parent to have a team party.
- Coordinate parent drivers to games.
- Coordinate scorekeepers.
- Coordinate team pictures.
- Collect and distribute team jerseys.
The candidate must have:
- Experience with the physical education curriculum, coaching, and organizing athletic events
- Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
- Commitment to creating an inclusive community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Commitment to Honoring the Game
- Ability and willingness to work in teams
- Ability to effectively communicate and partner with students, families, and staff
- A passion to advocate for Prospect Sierra students
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commitment to cultural competence and identity safety
- Participation on other committees as needed and appropriate
- Ancillary duties as needed for school-wide operation
Salary is competitive. Benefits included.
How to Apply
Email a resume, a one-page cover letter, and a list of three references with contact information to:
Nathan Tanaka, Middle School Division Head
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (include “Maternity Leave AD and PE position” in the subject line)
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process. It is the policy and commitment of Prospect Sierra School that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression. People of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com