Middle School Spanish TeacherMarch 22, 2017
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time Middle School Spanish Teacher for the 2017-18 school year.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future.
Overview of Position
The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head and work with students in grades 5-8.
- Plan, deliver, and evaluate four daily Spanish lessons grades 5-8.
- Communicate effectively with parents.
- Collaborate with the rest of the World Language team to ensure cohesive delivery of the language program.
- Teach a weekly elective (topic of your choice).
- Lead a student advisory and “family” group.
- Serve on a grade level team and work collaboratively with faculty team members.
- Work with the technology and library departments to integrate various media into curriculum.
- Participate in an overnight student study trip.
- Participate in other school-wide activities throughout the year, such as committees, team and staff meetings, and occasional evening or weekend school events.
The candidate must have:
- Three or more years of experience teaching Spanish language and culture, preferably at the middle school level
- Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
- Experience with TPRS helpful
- Experience with heritage speakers helpful
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both written and verbal, with prospective and current parents and colleagues
- Commitment to creating an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability and willingness to work in teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Awareness of differentiated learning and teaching styles
- Sense of humor
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process. It is the policy and commitment of Prospect Sierra School that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. People of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive; benefits are included.
How to Apply
Send a resume (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Prospect Sierra School
Attn: Heather Rogers, Middle School Head – Spanish Teacher Position
960 Avis Drive
El Cerrito, CA 94530
Email: email@example.com (Please put “Spanish teacher” in the subject line)