Middle School Part-Time Learning Specialist (Educational Therapist)May 17, 2017
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a part-time Middle School Learning Specialist.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, co-ed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) recently featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future.
Overview of Position
Prospect Sierra is looking for a Middle School Learning Specialist/Educational Therapist. The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head. As Learning Specialist, the successful candidate will work in conjunction with an additional part-time learning specialist and be responsible for the following:
- Oversee support planning for students with individual learning needs or concerns and monitor progress.
- Conduct limited academic screenings and assessments.
- Support classes in whole group, small groups, or 1:1 in the classrooms,
Case Management Responsibilities and Teacher/Parent Collaboration
- Collaborate with teachers/departments to ensure a cohesive delivery of the learning services program and monitor the progress of students with identified learning differences.
- Co-case manage student support with homeroom teacher/advisor.
- Guide teachers in the design of materials and teaching strategies to be meet student learning needs, eg accommodations and/or curricular modifications for students.
- Assist teachers with curriculum development.
- Manage and maintain learning support resources materials for teachers.
- Facilitate staff development sessions of cognitive development and learning differences.
- Interpretation of assessments performed by outside service providers and development of individualized learning plans.
- Facilitate collaboration and meetings between parents, teachers, and outside providers.
- Assist teachers, parents, and students to expand their understanding of the learning process.
- Help parents, teachers and students articulate concerns.
- Serve as a resource to parents.
- Consult with and/or provide counsel to admissions committee regarding prospective students.
- Consult with and/or provide counsel to high school placement coordinator regarding student needs.
Duties school-wide include:
- Participation on committees as needed and appropriate
- Participate in overnight study trip to the Marin Headlands
- Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of middle school life, e.g., team and staff meetings
The candidate must have:
- Master’s and/or Graduate Certification as a Learning Specialist, Resource or Educational Therapist preferred
- Three or more years’ experience in a school setting preferably at the middle school level
- Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
- Experience working with adolescents with learning differences
- Knowledge and experience with intervention and remediation strategies and programs
- Experience using technology to support students with learning differences
- Awareness of differentiated learning and teaching styles
- Commitment to creating an inclusive school community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with parents, colleagues, and outside service providers
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability and willingness to work in teams
- Sense of humor
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Commitment to anti-bias learning
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary and benefits competitive.
How to Apply
Please email a resume (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one page cover letter to:
ATTN: Heather Rogers
Email: email@example.com (Please put “Learning Specialist” in the subject line)