Middle School Extended Program Director (Part-time)June 8, 2017
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) recently featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future.
Overview of Position
The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head and work with students in 5th-8th grades who are participating in the Extended Program that runs after school. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work collaboratively with the Middle School Head, the Dean of Students, the Extended Program Assistant, and other faculty/staff to ensure a fun, dynamic, and safe after school experience.
- Track student attendance and manage program billing.
- Organize student enrichment offerings including workshops, mini-classes, and session-long classes.
- Communicate with parents, school staff, and Extended Program instructors.
- Develop trusting relationships with current students and families.
- Coordinate childcare for school-sponsored events and school vacations.
- Coordinate academic support for the Extended Program students.
- Coordinate and manage daily supervision of students in play, free time, homework completion, etc.
- Maintain respectful student behavior by handling disciplinary situations.
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday: 2:30-6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 1:30-6:00 p.m.
The candidate must have:
- Experience with children, specifically 5th-8th graders
- Attention to the social-emotional needs of middle school students and a genuine liking for early adolescents
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Ability and willingness to work in teams
- Committed to creating a fun and safe environment
- Strong track record of working with parents
- Sense of humor
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and GLBT candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included.
How to Apply
Send a resume (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one page cover letter to:
Heather Rogers, Middle School Head
ATTN: Extended Program Director Position
Prospect Sierra School
960 Avis Drive
El Cerrito, CA 94530
(Please put “Extended Program Director” in the subject line.)