Middle School Dean of StudentsJanuary 26, 2017
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time Middle School Dean of Students for the 2017-18 school year.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, co-ed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission “inspires students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future.
Overview of Position
As Middle School Dean, the successful candidate will be responsible for all issues relating to the well being of the students in and out of the classroom for grades 5–8. The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head. Responsibilities include, but are not necessarily limited to the following areas:
- Work collaboratively with the Division Head in all school matters.
- Develop trusting relationships with students and families.
- Develop and manage school culture.
- Lead faculty and staff in clarifying the school’s expectations for behavior.
- Handle all student issues and disciplinary situations.
- Communicate with the Division Head, team leaders, teachers, advisors, learning specialists, counselor, and parents as necessary regarding student issues and disciplinary situations.
- Oversee social emotional curriculum.
- Work collaboratively with the Director of Diversity and Inclusion.
- Work collaboratively with grade level leaders.
- Sit on admissions committee.
- Manage student and faculty schedules.
- Assist in faculty hiring.
- Oversee psychology intern program in coordination with school psychologist.
- Teach 7th and 8th grade Life Skills classes.
- Edit the student and family handbook.
- Manage day to day operations of middle school campus in Division Head’s absence.
- Coordinate chaperones and student attendance at dances.
- Act as a grade level advisor.
- Coordinating Student Electives.
- Participate in overnight field trips.
The Middle School Dean works closely with the Middle School Head, Director of Admissions, faculty, staff, students, and parents/guardians.
The candidate must have:
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- A genuine enjoyment for working with early adolescents
- Experience working with middle school students
- Strong track record of working with parents
- Ability to handle disciplinary situations with courage, grace, compassion, and fairness, and willingness to follow through with students, parents, colleagues, and the division head on all disciplinary matters from beginning to end
- Experience in independent schools
- Excellent attention to detail
- Sense of humor
- Strong organizational and record keeping skills
- Commitment to anti-bias learning
- Awareness of differentiated learning and teaching styles
Duties school-wide include:
- Participation on other committees as needed and appropriate.
- Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of middle school life.
- The ideal candidate will also be a team player and have previous successful experience in leadership positions.
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process. It is the policy and commitment of Prospect Sierra School that it does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, sex, national or ethnic origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression. People of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary and benefits are competitive.
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including written recommendations and/or contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Heather Rogers, Middle School Head
Attn: Dean of Students Position
Prospect Sierra School
960 Avis Drive
El Cerrito, CA 94530
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Please put “Dean of Students” in the subject line)