Athletics Director and 8th Grade PE Teacher
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students’ academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop the courage to become not just great students, but great people.
Overview of Program
Prospect Sierra offers interscholastic competition for 6th-8th grade students. The goal of our athletics program is to encourage participation and provide social, conceptual, and skill development for each student. Panther sports teams include basketball, cross-country, flag football, track and field, volleyball, and ultimate frisbee. Teams are designed to teach students individual and team skills and concepts, while at the same time emphasizing the importance of respect, good sportspersonship, and healthy competition.
Overview of Position
This position is for an Athletics Director of after school interscholastic sports teams and 8th Grade Physical Education Teacher, beginning in August 2023. The successful candidate will report to the Middle School Division Head and will work in close collaboration with the PE Department and the 8th grade team. This is a full-time position that includes both administrative and teaching responsibilities.
Physical Education Teacher Responsibilities
- Teach approximately 72 8th graders in 4 classes of approximately 18 students.
- Plan, deliver, and evaluate daily lessons for 8th grade PE classes.
- Develop a classroom environment that fosters sportspersonship, collaboration, inclusivity, joy, and healthy competition.
- Complete report card for 8th graders including both grades and narrative comments.
- Conduct ongoing effective communication with a diverse group of parents.
- Collaborate with PE department members and other faculty members.
- Serve on the 8th grade team and work collaboratively with faculty team members and take on leadership roles on occasion.
- Attend and support a week-long overnight study trip.
- Teach an elective once a week.
- Supervise the multi-purpose room/gym during lunch once a week.
- Support the division and team with carrying out recess duties and other small tasks.
- Coach 2 teams during the school year.
Director of Athletics Responsibilities
- Model sportspersonship and uphold an “Honoring the Game” culture with all constituents.
- Work to be a visible ambassador of Prospect Sierra athletics.
- Plan and deliver coaches’ meetings as needed.
- Hire and release coaching staff along with the division head.
- Attend and represent Prospect Sierra at league scheduling meetings.
- Schedule games, matches, and meets.
- Order all equipment and uniforms and manage inventory for after school teams.
- Uphold league expectations for each sports season.
- Report scores and overall experience provided by each of the schools that Prospect Sierra plays.
- Athletics Director takes care of ancillary coaching duties (PE teachers will take of these duties on their own if they are coaching).
- Assist/support team parents in organizing the end-of-season celebration.
- Coordinate referees/officials for each season.
- Host sporting events at school as needed.
- Coordinate with Extended Program to support athletes who need care after practice and games begin and finish.
- Work with the City of El Cerrito to secure fields for FF and ultimate seasons.
- Communicate with the team parent to have a team party.
- Coordinate parent drivers to games.
- Coordinate scorekeepers.
- Coordinate team pictures.
- Collect and distribute team jerseys.
The candidate must have:
- Experience with the physical education curriculum, coaching, and organizing athletic events
- Commitment to “Honoring the Game”
- Ability to effectively communicate and partner with students, families, and staff
- A passion to advocate for Prospect Sierra students
- Appreciation for and desire to work with middle school students
- Ability to deliver a dynamic curriculum that can differentiate for a range of learners through lessons, projects, games, and various activities.
- Understanding of differentiated learning techniques
- Knowledge of educational technology to support teaching and learning
- Commitment to early adolescent education and social/emotional development
- A passionate commitment to creating an innovative, joyful environment for students
- Ability to effectively communicate, both written and verbal, with prospective and current parents and colleagues
- Ability to take initiative, work passionately and joyfully, take on leadership roles as needed, and collaborate effectively with diverse constituencies
- Knowledge of the essential role social-emotional literacy plays in the workplace and interest in the application of SEL within the educational setting
- A nuanced understanding of DEI/social justice knowledge from a personal or programmatic perspective
- Knowledge of identity-safe and anti-bias educational practices and the ability to create an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Ability to use and learn how to use various tech platforms such as Google Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Forms), Slack, Parentsquare, Classkick, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Strong Organizational skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable
- Participation on other committees as needed and appropriate
- Ancillary duties as needed for school-wide operation
The salary is competitive. Benefits included. Our 2023-24 salary schedule can be found here.
How to Apply
Email a resume, a one-page cover letter, and a list of three references with contact information to:
Nathan Tanaka, Middle School Division Head
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (include “AD and 8th Grade PE Teacher Position” in the subject line)
Prospect Sierra School is an equal opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com
March 14, 2023
Black History Month Challenge!Last month our Avis students learned about Black food as part of both joy and resistance, local cookbook author and food justice activist, Bryant Terry (@bryantterry), and were invited to participate in a “Tasty 10 Challenge.” Sponsored by our very own head of school Nisa…
March 14, 2023
Summer Program Spotlight: Speak Spanish and Cook!Check out our brand new Avis programs like Speak Spanish & Cook with Avis’ very own Isabel Bustillos! Students will cook their way through Latin America while strengthening their Spanish language skills and chowing down on their tasty creations during…
March 14, 2023
1st Grader Community MuseumAt PS, first graders dive deep into studying multiple facets of “community” all year long. After getting to know the school community, our students became experts on the spaces that keep our neighborhoods humming like libraries, soup kitchens, BART stations,…
March 14, 2023
Black History Month Challenge!
March 14, 2023
Summer Program Spotlight: Speak Spanish and Cook!
March 14, 2023