Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students’ academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop the courage to become more than great students, but great people. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
This position is for a 7th grade advisor and humanities teacher, beginning August 2023. This teacher will report to the Middle School Division Head and will work in close collaboration with the 7th grade team and the humanities department. This is a full-time teaching position.
- Plan, deliver, and evaluate daily lessons for 7th grade humanities classes.
- Work closely with the other 7th grade humanities teacher to ensure all 7th grade students have a similar experience and meet the same benchmarks.
- Create meaningful relationships and an inclusive classroom community.
- Conduct ongoing effective communication with a diverse group of parents and caregivers and participate in parent-teacher conferences.
- Write narrative reports twice a year.
- Lead a 7th grade advisory: plan and lead daily morning meetings, communicate with families directly, provide academic and social-emotional support for each individual, and partner with other teachers and staff as needed to support each advisee in their overall success at school.
- Collaborate with the 7th grade team to ensure cohesive delivery of subject and advisory curriculum and coordinated support of the 7th grade needs and challenges.
- Chaperone a five day/4-night student overnight field trip.
- Proctor study hall.
- Teach a weekly elective.
- Support the admissions team in admitting new 7th graders into our middle school by engaging in special events, screening, committee work, etc.
- A passionate commitment to creating an innovative, joyful environment for students
- Appreciation for and desire to work with middle school students
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in upper middle school education
- Ability to learn and deliver a dynamic curriculum
- Knowledge of educational technology to support teaching and learning
- Ability to use and learn how to use various tech platforms such as Google Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Forms), Slack, Parentsquare, Classkick, etc.
- Ability and desire to co-create new curriculum that is aligned with the mission of the school
- Ability to design, facilitate, and assess project-based learning
- Ability to guide students through a multi-step writing process from ideas to revision and in a variety of formats (expository, thesis driven, literary analysis, creative)
- Ability to guide students through the research process using books, interviews with experts, and online resources
- Awareness of differentiated learning and teaching styles and ability to work with Learning Specialists to support a diverse student body
- Knowledge of the essential role social-emotional literacy plays in the workplace and interest in the application of SEL within the educational setting
- Ability to take initiative, take on leadership roles as needed, and collaborate effectively with diverse constituencies
- Ability to foster strong parent/caregiver connections to support students and curriculum
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills and the
- A nuanced understanding of DEI/social justice knowledge from a personal or programmatic perspective
- Knowledge of identity-safe and anti-bias educational practices and the ability to create an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
In addition to required qualifications, desirable additional skills include:
- Master’s degree in education, or relevant coursework or certification indicating advanced knowledge in areas related to the responsibilities of the job
- Training in or familiarity with using 6+1 Traits of Writing
- Training in or familiarity with Project Based Learning
- Training in or familiarity with Responsive Classroom
- Participation on committees as needed and appropriate
- Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of middle school life, e.g., team and staff meetings, attendance at school functions, chaperoning school trips, committee work, recess duties, etc.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included. Our 2022-23 salary schedule can be found here.
How to Apply
Send a resume, a one-page cover letter, and the contact information of three references to:
Nathan Tanaka, Middle School Head
firstname.lastname@example.org (Please put “7th Grade Humanities Teacher” in the subject line)
Prospect Sierra School is an equal-opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com