Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed TK–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California, serving 465 students. Prospect Sierra gives students the tools to build a better world by integrating rigorous academics with a deep understanding of human emotions. Every day our exceptional teachers connect students’ academic experiences to ethics, empathy, and social and emotional intelligence. The result is deeper intellectual engagement, greater self-knowledge, and compassionate relationships. Prospect Sierra students develop the courage to become more than great students, but great people. Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
This position is for a 6th grade advisor and math teacher, beginning August 2023. This teacher will report to the Middle School Division Head and will work in close collaboration with the 6th grade team and the math department. This is a full-time teaching position.
- Teach Illustrative Mathematics curriculum, a problem-based, student-centered, common-core-aligned program to the entire 6th grade of approximately 72 students.
- Serve on the 6th grade team with ongoing collaboration with other grade team members.
- Collaborate with the other math teachers to ensure a cohesive mathematics program across the whole middle school.
- Lead a 6th grade advisory: plan and lead daily morning meetings, communicate with families directly, provide academic and social-emotional support for each individual, and partner with other teachers and staff as needed to support each advisee in their overall success at school.
- Manage a dedicated 6th grade math associate teacher.
- Teach a weekly elective.
- Proctor study halls.
- Effectively communicate with a diverse community of parents/caregivers.
- Write narrative reports for all 6th grade students.
- Lead and organize parent/caregiver conferences for advisees.
- Support the Admissions Committee in evaluating prospective sixth grade students.
- Co-chaperone a 2-4 night sleep away field trip.
- Appreciation for and desire to work with middle school aged students
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices in middle school education
- Ability to differentiate for a variety of learning styles
- Ability to implement multiple modes of instruction, including hands-on and project-based learning
- Ability to create and/or adapt math curricula for various learning styles and abilities
- Ability to create a safe and joyful learning environment that fosters a growth-mindset class culture
- Knowledge of the essential role social-emotional literacy plays in the workplace and interest in the application of SEL within the educational setting
- Knowledge of identity-safe and anti-bias educational practices and the ability to create an inclusive classroom community that allows for a multitude of perspectives to be heard and respected
- Ability to use and learn how to use various tech platforms such as Google Suite (Google Docs, Sheets, Forms), Slack, Parentsquare, Classkick, Desmos, etc.
- Ability to take initiative, take on leadership roles as needed, and collaborate effectively with diverse constituencies
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent interpersonal skills and organizational skills
- Knowledge of educational technology to support teaching and learning
- A nuanced understanding of DEI/social justice knowledge from a personal or programmatic perspective
In addition to the required qualifications, desirable additional skills include:
- Master’s degree in education, or relevant coursework or certification indicating advanced knowledge in areas related to the responsibilities of the job
- Familiarity with Illustrative Mathematics curriculum
- Training in or familiarity with project-based learning
- Training in or familiarity with Responsive Classroom
- Support for the Admissions Committee and other committees as needed and appropriate
- Ancillary duties include responsibilities that are part of middle school life, e.g., team and staff meetings, attendance at school functions, recess duties, etc.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included. Our 2022-23 salary schedule can be found here.
How to Apply
Send a resume, a one-page cover letter, and the contact information of three references to:
Nathan Tanaka, Middle School Head
firstname.lastname@example.org (Please put “Sixth Grade Math Teacher” in the subject line)
Prospect Sierra School is an equal-opportunity employer. Our community is diverse in many ways, inclusive of race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender spectrum, age, ability, and more. We welcome and value the same in our faculty and staff.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com