2-LibrarySeptember 28, 2016
2nd Grade — Library & Digital Literacy
The elementary school library provides a rich environment for fostering a love of books and reading. Weekly classes include book talks, read-aloud stories, learning activities, and introductions to authors and various genres. Students learn how to navigate the library’s electronic catalog, access online resources, and find books that suit both their interests and research needs.
The library’s mission is to enrich the school’s educational programs, to provide for the interests and needs of students, and to develop and nurture a love of reading.
- Listening and reading for understanding, making predictions, parts of a book, exposure to various genres, promoting passionate life-long readers
- Learning to use our electronic card catalog and databases (World Book, Power Knowledge, etc.)
- Maps and mapping, direction orientation
- Media evaluation, use of databases, introduction to periodicals, short films, DVDs, CDs, websites, and printed material
- Introduction to electronic online catalog for finding books and doing research
- Acceptable use policy compliance, works cited
Approaches to Learning
- World celebrations, history of holidays, material covering diverse cultures