8-SocialSeptember 28, 2016
8th Grade — Social Studies
Reading, writing, and social studies are taught in an integrated course called humanities. The content is guided by essential questions that inform reading material selections, study trips, research projects, and presentations. Teachers collaborate with other departments to further extend the cross-curricular nature of the humanities program, fully integrating the themes of the course into the arts, sciences, and mathematics.
- Essential Questions Explored:
- What should the USA do?
- How and why did we get here?
- Unit Themes:
- Standing up for others: topics in U.S. history
- The Constitution of the United States
- The Cold War
- The Great Migrations
- Harlem Renaissance
- Mexican repatriation
- The Great Depression
- Vietnam and the anti-war movement
- Civil rights movement
- Social justice movements/identity
- Social changes of the 1980s
- Crisis in the Middle East/ISIS
- Approaches to Learning: